Julia Prior was excellent in all aspects of my claim, especially being in constant contact with me and dealing with my claim quickly.
Gas safety and students - an explosive combination?
Fri 24th Feb 2012 Personal injury
week I blogged about an illegal gasman who lied about his
credentials. Only the actions of the resident averted a potential
fatality. This week's blog remains on a gas theme.
was interested to note on the Health and Safety Executive's (HSE)
website about their Gas Safe Register campaign, aimed at keeping
It is muted that, on moving into their accommodation, students will probably have sorted out the nearest pub and takeaway, but have they given any consideration to gas safety in their accommodation?
Ironically, the symptoms of a hangover and carbon monoxide poisoning are scarily similar. As the mother of boys who have been the house share route, I have no doubt that gas safety didn't even enter their minds! Pubs and takeaways most definitely did.
The bottom line is, just ensure that you give it some thought. Your landlord has a legal duty to carry out an annual gas safety check and regular service, which must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer, not the guy down the pub.
A gas safety certificate must be issued for any gas appliances on an annual basis. The HSE website have a student factsheet available for download.
A few minutes is all it takes. A life is what is at risk.
Litigation Executive - Personal Injury team
Would you like us to call you back?
Call us between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, or use the enquiry form outside office hours
Or call us on 0844 620 6600