You have a duty of care to visitors at your home

Posted on

Who are BL Claims Solicitors

BL Claims Solicitors specialise in personal injury, clinical negligence and travel claims, providing our clients with hands-on support, nationally.

We are rated as one of the top firms in the UK and believe in speaking to our clients in jargon-free language and ensuring you're speaking to a highly qualified lawyer right from the outset

The party was being hosted while her parents were away.   Even so, her parents, Mr & Mrs Hawkins,  still owe a legal duty of care towards visitors to their  property under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957.  The  Miss Grimes Solicitors claim that Mr & Mrs Hawkins should have put up warning signs forbidding diving at night or in their absence.  . 

The case is still ongoing and Miss Grimes is reportedly claiming damages of £6,000,000.  Whilst I understand that Mr & Mrs Hawkins do have household insurance which would cover them for the claim, this will not be enough to cover the full amount claimed.  Household policies are generally limited to £1,000,000 or £3,000,000 cover for third party liability claims.  They would be personally liable for any balance due to the Claimant and they could be bankrupted if she is awarded significantly more than the sum their insurance covers them for. 

When the case is decided, the Judge could reduce Miss Grimes' damages by an appropriate percentage to reflect that she may have been at least partly responsible for her own accident.

If Miss Grimes' case is unsuccessful, she will of course receive nothing for her terrible injuries.

From a legal point of view, it will be interesting to see the outcome of this important case. For more detailed information on the Occupiers Liability Act click here to read my in-depth article.

Julia Prior

Solicitor in the Personal Injury team

BL Claims Solicitors are here to help

If you would like to talk to someone and discuss a potential claim please call us on 0344 620 6600 anytime between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, or if you would prefer you can email us at