today of the death of Hazel Woodhams has highlighted the dangers of exposure to carbon-monoxide." />

The Dangers of Exposure to Carbon Monoxide

Posted on

Who are BL Claims Solicitors

BL Claims Solicitors specialise in personal injury, clinical negligence and travel claims, providing our clients with hands-on support, nationally.

We are rated as one of the top firms in the UK and believe in speaking to our clients in jargon-free language and ensuring you're speaking to a highly qualified lawyer right from the outset

Hazel, aged 30, is reported to have died after being overcome by carbon-monoxide fumes after she brought her extinguished charcoal barbeque into her tent whilst camping in Norfolk with her boyfriend.  They did so supposedly to avoid it being stolen whilst they slept. 
 
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless but toxic gas and is therefore very difficult to detect. Symptoms can include light-headedness, confusion and headaches.  Longer exposures can lead to damage to the central nervous system and ultimately, death, as in the awful case.
 
Most will be aware of the risks of exposure and will have in their homes, carbon monoxide detectors which can warn them of the presence of this gas.  In the home it can be avoided by having regular checks carried out on your gas appliances such as boilers and cookers.  You should never use a barbeque, gas or charcoal, within a confined space.
 
If you rent your property, your landlord must by law have an annual check of the appliances carried out by a CORGI registered engineer and you should receive a copy of the test certificate to ensure that it has been conducted.  Failure by a landlord to have a valid certificate in place is a criminal offence.
 
 
Grant Evatt
Senior Solicitor - Personal Injury Team.

BL Claims Solicitors are here to help

If you would like to talk to someone and discuss a potential claim please call us on 0344 620 6600 anytime between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, or if you would prefer you can email us at info@blclaims.co.uk