blogged about an illegal gasman who lied about his credentials. Only the actions of the resident averted a potential fatality. This week's blog remains on a gas theme.
" />

Gas safety and students - an explosive combination?

Posted on

Who are BL Claims Solicitors

BL Claims Solicitors specialise in personal injury, clinical negligence and travel claims, providing our clients with hands-on support, nationally.

We are rated as one of the top firms in the UK and believe in speaking to our clients in jargon-free language and ensuring you're speaking to a highly qualified lawyer right from the outset

I was interested to note on the Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) website about their Gas Safe Register campaign, aimed at keeping students safe.

It is muted that, on moving into their accommodation, students will probably have sorted out the nearest pub and takeaway, but have they given any consideration to gas safety in their accommodation? 

Ironically, the symptoms of a hangover and carbon monoxide poisoning are scarily similar.  As the mother of boys who have been the house share route, I have no doubt that gas safety didn't even enter their minds!  Pubs and takeaways most definitely did.

The bottom line is, just ensure that you give it some thought.  Your landlord has a legal duty to carry out an annual gas safety check and regular service, which must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer, not the guy down the pub. 

A gas safety certificate must be issued for any gas appliances on an annual basis. The HSE website have a student factsheet available for download.  

A few minutes is all it takes.  A life is what is at risk.

Deborah Blackmore

Litigation Executive - Personal Injury team

BL Claims Solicitors are here to help

If you would like to talk to someone and discuss a potential claim please call us on 0344 620 6600 anytime between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, or if you would prefer you can email us at