Driving abroad this Spring or Summer? Here are some top tips for staying safe
Who are BL Claims Solicitors
BL Claims Solicitors specialise in personal injury, clinical negligence and travel claims, providing our clients with hands-on support, nationally.
We are rated as one of the top firms in the UK and believe in speaking to our clients in jargon-free language and ensuring you're speaking to a highly qualified lawyer right from the outset
As the ski season slowly draws to a close, many have had to come to terms with the loss of loved ones; a coach carrying English school children overturned in France and, most recently, a coach carrying Belgian and Dutch school children crashed in a tunnel in Switzerland.
Europe's roads remain some of the safest in the World and travel by coach one of the safest means of transport. The Telegraph has highlighted some useful points to consider if you are driving abroad this spring or summer. Here are the top tips I would highlight:-
- Make sure you familiarise yourself with the rules of the road in the country you are travelling to. In particular, be familiar with the standard speed limits for motorways or rural routes.
- Ensure you have the right equipment. France has introduced a new law requiring drivers to carry a breathlyser. Ignorance is no excuse so invest in the right equipment to avoid a fine.
- If you have an accident be sure to get details of all involved, including any witnesses. Complete a European Accident Form if possible and take photographs. You may even want to consider calling the Police (112 works for the emergency services anywhere in the EU).
- Plan your route carefully and make sure you have a good map or have updated your GPS.
- Check your insurance. Make sure you have the necessary endorsements for driving in Europe and check you have comprehensive European breakdown cover. Finally, The Telegraph suggests a driving holiday in Scandinavia - an area which boasts the safest roads in Europe. This might just make a nice change to the usual trek through France, Spain or Italy.
BL Claims Solicitors are here to help
If you would like to talk to someone and discuss a potential claim please call us on 0344 620 6600 anytime between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, or if you would prefer you can email us at email@example.com