Increase in payments for Mesothelioma sufferers
Who are BL Claims Solicitors
BL Claims Solicitors specialise in personal injury, clinical negligence and travel claims, providing our clients with hands-on support, nationally.
We are rated as one of the top firms in the UK and believe in speaking to our clients in jargon-free language and ensuring you're speaking to a highly qualified lawyer right from the outset
The Draft Mesothelioma Lump Sum Payments 2012 regulations were implemented on the 1 April 2012. These have the effect of increasing payments for those first diagnosed on or after the the 1 April 2012 or where the date of diagnosis for mesothelioma is unknown.
These are payments under the Diffuse payment scheme, terms of eligibility are set out on the government website as being eligible if individuals:
- are unable to make a claim under the 1979 Pneumoconiosis Act
- have not received payment in respect of the disease from an employer, a civil claim or elsewhere
- are not entitled to compensation from a Ministry of Defence scheme
The scheme covers people whose exposure to asbestos occurred in the United Kingdom and was not as a result of their work as an employee. For example:
- they came into contact with asbestos from a relative - for example by washing their clothes
- they were exposed to asbestos in the environment - for example, they lived near a factory using asbestos
- their exposure to asbestos was while self-employed
- their exposure cannot be specified but it occurred in the United Kingdom
Examples of the increase are a person who was aged 37 of under diagnosed with mesothelioma received £52, 772.00 under the 2008 regulations this has now increased to £81, 536.
Full details can be found on the Direct Gov website here.
BL Claims Solicitors are here to help
If you would like to talk to someone and discuss a potential claim please call us on 0344 620 6600 anytime between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, or if you would prefer you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org