Are tougher laws required to prevent further dog attacks on private land?

Posted on

Who are BL Claims Solicitors

BL Claims Solicitors specialise in personal injury, clinical negligence and travel claims, providing our clients with hands-on support, nationally.

We are rated as one of the top firms in the UK and believe in speaking to our clients in jargon-free language and ensuring you're speaking to a highly qualified lawyer right from the outset

Should there a new law to prosecute those whose dogs attack people on private property? This is a difficult question because I don't think that many owners "allow" their dogs to attack people.

Dogs can be unpredictable and we know that certain types are more likely to attack than others,  which is reflected in the current Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. The aim of this act was to make it unlawful for dog owners to allow their  'pets'  to be uncontrolled or aggressive in public places and, to prevent the cross-breeding of these types of dog.

The question is whether the current law goes far enough in protecting the public from aggressive and dangerous dogs, especially when the attack occurs on private land, such as your own home. The tragic story of  Clifford Clarke aged 79, who last weekend was attacked and killed by his neighbours a dog in his own front garden highlights the problem we face. The breed was reportedly a bull-mastiff cross.

There have been far too many number of vicious dog attacks of late and this is a very serious example of why there is not enough legal protection in the current law for attacks on private land.There is currently a Dangerous Dogs (Amendment) Bill being passed through Parliament to extend the Dangerous Dogs legislation to make it an offence for a dog to be dangerously out of control in any place, including all private property, so watch this space. 

BL Claims Solicitors are here to help

If you would like to talk to someone and discuss a potential claim please call us on 0344 620 6600 anytime between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, or if you would prefer you can email us at