The risk of button batteries for children

Posted on

Who are BL Claims Solicitors

BL Claims Solicitors specialise in personal injury, clinical negligence and travel claims, providing our clients with hands-on support, nationally.

We are rated as one of the top firms in the UK and believe in speaking to our clients in jargon-free language and ensuring you're speaking to a highly qualified lawyer right from the outset

button batteries
Great Ormond Street Hospital has warned parents about the dangers of button batteries as the number of children admitted to hospital after swallowing them has risen dramatically. They say that on average they treat one child every month for swallowing one of the tiny batteries.  The batteries can often be found in electronic toys, hearing aids, watches and calculators.

They can cause, if swallowed, health problems, for example if they become stuck in the oesophagus they can burn through the tissue in as little as 15 minutes.  If the batteries are swallowed it normally follows that an operation is required to remove the battery.  There is also a risk of death if the battery acid erodes a blood vessel.

Parents are being encouraged to watch out for the danger signs such as vomiting, difficulties in swallowing, choking and chest infections.  If you suspect your child has swallowed a battery you are recommended to take your child to hospital immediately.

 

BL Claims Solicitors are here to help

If you would like to talk to someone and discuss a potential claim please call us on 0344 620 6600 anytime between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, or if you would prefer you can email us at info@blclaims.co.uk