Blood clot injury
“Thank you so much for all the time and trouble you have spent on my behalf. I am very grateful.”
A blood clot can have serious consequences, and when it has been caused by medical negligence, such as a failure to diagnose it, our Clinical Negligence team has the specialist legal and medical expertise to pursue a substantial compensation claim for you or for your relatives or estate if a blood clot caused serious injury and even death.
For example, a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood that occurs in a vein deep within the body. They usually occur in a deep leg vein within the calf and thigh muscles and can cause pain and swelling. If a piece of the blood clot detaches and blocks one of the blood vessels in the lungs, it can cause when is known as a pulmonary embolism. If you have a DVT and pulmonary embolism at the same time they are known as a venous thromboembolism (VTE). The main symptoms of a DVT include:
- Sharp or stabbing chest pain that may get feel worse when you breathe in
- Shortness of breath that comes on suddenly or develops gradually
- Coughing that is usually dry or may include blood or mucus that contains blood
- Faintness, dizziness or passing or passing out.
An arterial embolism can also be extremely serious when it occurs in the brain, causing a stroke, or in the heart where it can lead to a heart attack.
Our clinical negligence specialist lawyers have pursued successful compensation claim when there has been a failure to:
- Take adequate preventative measures, such as anti-deep vein thrombosis stockings, or to administer a blood anticoagulant while having elective surgery
- Diagnose the occurrence of one or more small blood clots before they causes a fatal embolism
- Recognise the risk factors in which blood clots occur, such as immobility for a fractured leg, pelvic surgery, other leg injuries, plaster casts on the leg, childbirth and long distance travel
To prove that your blood clot injury (or in tragic circumstances death) was due to medical negligence, our clinical negligence specialist lawyers work in conjunction with independent medical experts who will help us to assess your blood clot case. If we believe there has been negligence, we will vigorously pursue a compensation claim that recognises pain and suffering as well as any impact on your social or work life.
Our clients choose BL Claims Solicitors to handle their blood clot compensation claims because:
- We are acknowledged leaders in the field
- Our legal team has, collectively, many years of experience in winning clinical negligence compensation claims
- We talk to our clients in jargon-free language
- We act quickly so clients get the compensation and care they need as soon as possible
- We are members of industry bodies and panels related to clinical negligence, which means that BL Claims Solicitors is recognised as being a leader in the legal industry
- You will discuss your case with a highly qualified lawyer right from the outset
0344 620 6600 Would you like us to call you back?
Related Knowledge & Resources
Dee Miller, 63, died after undergoing knee replacement surgery at St Mary’s Hospital on the Isle of Wight in July 2014. Our expert Kym Provan gives an overview of the case and the result.
An NHS Trust was liable for clinical negligence where it was negligent in its treatment of a 30 year old woman, resulting in the diagnosis of Post Thrombotic Syndrome which greatly affected her personal and working life. Here is an overview of the case
Kym Provan, Senior Associate and head of the Southampton Clinical Negligence team, recently negotiated a settlement of £75,000, on behalf of a client who suffered from a significant blood clot and associated complications with post operative medication.